Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wandering through Wednesday...

My erstwhile husband claims he was hospitalized as a child after having been bitten by a garter snake. I have no reason to doubt him, but still have never considered garter snakes dangerous. The one I saw in the garden yesterday did alarm me though -- damn thing was so much larger than the little slithery ones in Stinson. But since it was between me and the tomatoes, I soldiered on.

I'm reading a book entitled "American Lightening" (by Howard Blum) about the 1910 bombing of the Times Building --the labor movement, the Owens Valley water project, DW Griffith, Billy Burns, Clarence Darrow etc. etc. How could I grow up in a labor family in Los Angeles and not have known this stuff? Unfortunately it is written in this faux-breezy style one usually finds in an as-told-to (though it isn't). The subject matter however trumps the garbage writing.

So I see Jimmy Carter is getting a lot of shit for telling the truth. Again. Now I have no doubt that Dick Army (FreedomWorks), Glenn Beck (Fox) and I suspect Rove and the usual suspects would be mounting Teabagging Parties and Million Moron Marches, replete with outrageous lies and slander, regardless of who the Democratic President may be. But. Having a BLACK president to beat up on rallies a whole segment of the population that is uneducated, frustrated, looking for someone to blame and is also racist. Every dog has his day, be he a pro-lifer, anti-commie, whatever, and now the racists have theirs. Hey -- it's OK to hold sign saying Africa has Lions and the White House has a lyin' African. I mean some of those signs people were carrying in DC last weekend were outrageous -- how can anyone say that Carter wasn't right on, and where, as they say, is the outrage? So now Carter will get beaten up, even by so-called liberals, and we will say we had a National Conversation. What a crock.

Yes, that pun was intentional.

No comments: