Saturday, November 28, 2009


Thanksgiving etc.

Chris was telling me that the ranch occasionally raises turkeys and that one year they killed, plucked and prepared one only to find that it wouldn’t fit in the oven. We had no such problem with the game hens I made last night and it was all good except the potatoes au gratin which is the only thing I thought I really knew how to make. It kind of turned into a cheesy buttery mess. I loved it of course. Best was my wild rice stuffing which I made with leeks, onions and lots of fresh sage, thyme & rosemary and did NOT overcook the rice.
Sometime in the night a four-pointer somehow injured itself trying to jump the pasture fence (they always jump this fence, and easily – C thinks it could have injured itself on some metal pipes and irrigation heads next to same). Poor thing finally stopped breathing about 1:00 pm. Yellow Dog Zoe meanwhile was tormenting and chewing on a field mouse; hiked up to the dump where C was berating Beatrix for eating a frog (the foam around her mouth was a dead giveaway, so to speak).  I’m glad I don’t believe in omens.

No comments: