Friday, July 17, 2009

Tom Horton -- but not the Blues

I've been thinking a lot about Tom these weeks here at Happy Camp. Maybe because of the garden he would have loved, even more the pool and Ramada area, dining in the evening next to the pasture. Give Tom some mowed grass and a bit of tile (even gravel) and he had a Piazza. When he was well enough to sit on the front lawn of 14 Dipsea, we would drink martinis and joke about the Seadrift Life Style. That was before he moved to the City; soon it was Kate and KH pretty much 24/7 and I was out of the picture (how out I didn't realize 'til later) which was as it should be. And when he died, I just carried on, no tears -- it was not my loss but theirs, or so it seemed. And I cried so hard for so many months when he was first diagnosed I don't think I had any tears left.

I think of Tom when I am doing the receipts here in the morning, very much like he taught me at the Stinson Beach Grill back in 1992. And I think of how I came to be here -- so many miles away from Stinson Beach and an eternity away from him. And how far from the (honorary) family status I once enjoyed; how little that family, other than him, had any real regard.

I guess it is OK to indulge a little sloppy sentiment now and then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see new owners of the restaurant formerly known as "The Stinson Beach Grill". I remember the two people that were running the Grill before it was sold. I think how locals and tourists gave up going to the Grill.

I also remember 1986 to about 1999. I ask myself--- "WHAT the FUCK HAPPENED??!!!???