Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nuts that Kill

Nice weather here. Even when rain is forecast, there is very little (if any). I had dinner last night at Christopher's and we sat outside even unto 7 o'clock, watching the bats go by. He's a good cook. I roasted some chestnuts and he served them mixed with  mole sauce. Yum. Tonight we are having dinner at the Manor House as it is his b'day.  I'm going to (try to) make a pound cake.

The chestnut tree is right in front of my house and though I walk past it several times a day it is smart to give it a wide berth. The burrs are now constantly falling from the tree and being hit on the head by a heavy spiked tennis ball cannot be fun. Most of the ones I gather are going in the freezer at the big house but I'm keeping some; Lydia B was making pasta with a chestnut sauce once and I have her recipe. In her cookbook. She never just sends them to me. But Nicki (George's sister in law) is sending me her mother's chestnut stuffing recipe.  So to hell with you, Lydia.
My computer desk faces my living room window (just as I wanted!) which looks out onto: the Chestnut tree, then the greenhouse, and then the pasture. Summer, the pasture is mainly populated by deer (starting at dusk); then in fall with the cows (steers, heifers, their children etc) and now they have been joined by 3 horses and a donkey. Or a Mule. Nature's screensaver.

No comments: